My first task was to choose a wire routing approach. I stewed over this a very long time, but ended up choosing WireTracks  to get the job done. Installing WireTracks involves cutting out the sheetrock behind your baseboards and replacing the sheetrock with the WireTracks channel. You then glue and screw your baseboards onto the snap-off channel-cover, and "snap" the baseboard/channel-cover combination back onto the rear section. This allows you to go back and rework your wiring at any time (it's best to go to their site to see it in action).
Before starting, furniture centralized. Note paint samples on wall in distance.
Baseboards pulled and sheetrock cut away
Closer look at what's under the sheetrock (outside wall)
Once I figured out that the RotoZip just wasn't going to cut it (no pun intended), I started using the good old sheetrock handsaw. This technique gave me plenty of control, but meant hours of laying on my side, sawing away. By the time I got to the last sections of sheetrock, I'd gotten pretty efficient at sawing. I'd first score the sheetrock deeply with a utility knife, using a piece of poplar trim as a straightedge, then I'd go at it with the saw. This resulted in very straight cuts (as if it matters), and more importantly, much less sheetrock dust. The best results of all were when I figured out that the utility knife was good enough on its own - if the proper technique is used. It takes a lot of elbow grease, but just patiently and repeatedly dragging the knife through the initial straightedge cut was enough to remove the last 15' or so of sheetrock that I worked on.
Still, it would have been much easier (and dustier) with the small Makita circular saw! I wouldn't have been able to deal with the dust, so that was not an option for me even if I'd been able to find one.